Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Manual Madness!

So, I am going on week two of working with my new camera, and with each passing day I realize more and more that I have no a clue what I am doing. So I enlisted the help of Jessica Washburn. Many of you know her or have had the honor of having her shoot you or your kids, and certainly don't need me to tell you that she is a VERY talented photographer (I highly suggest seeing for yourself at http://jessicawashburn365.blogspot.com/) She used to live in Port Orchard, but has recently moved back East. She has three beautiful girls, and is busy busy. Anyways, I emailed her to ask a few questions and in true Jessica form (always going above and beyond) has been extremely generous with her time and knowledge. Through our emails she has offered to help critique my work, and has given me assignments to help me understand basic concepts. I can not tell you how invaluable this is to me, nor how excited I am to not feel alone in this learning process!! I like to think of her as my mentor (my words not hers :)). Anyways, her latest suggestion is for me to start shooting solely in manual. I don't know if any of you can understand how scary this is....so let me tell you, I AM SCARED. I feel so vulnerable, and it only solidifies all the more that I really don't know what I am doing!! Anyways, I have been doing it for a few days, and want to post the only picture that I have liked so far. I really want to use this blog to reference my hopeful progression in my photographic journey, so be prepared for lots of pictures, the good, the bad, and the ugly :)!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I agree, Jessica is awesome. I'm glad she's able to help you out. I love this picture btw. I bet your others aren't as bad as you think they may be!

Shalie said...

I love taking pictures! But, I don't know any of the lingo, what on earth does "manual" mean? And the picture looks really good. How is your family? How are the kids doing? We're excited to see you in a couple of weeks

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

most point and shoot cameras have automatic settings, meaning you point the camera at what you want to take a picture of and the camera does all the rest, i.e., measures light, how fast the picture is taken (shutter speed), and many other instructions. With a digital SLR there are several other settings that allow you to control the camera, sort of like driving stick on a car, except there is a whole lot else think about besides the clutch. YIKES!

Jessica said...

Hey, I am going to email you some cc on this one. Love the leading lines in the road by the way.

You forgot the part about me being a total beginner myself and how you'll outstrip me before long. Silly Shannon!

Jennie said...

I am so excited to be finally viewing your blog! Your pictures are FABULOUS! I wish you lived closer..I am in desperate need of some pictures for my kids! Could you come and visit?! Keep it up...can't wait to be a regular visiting your site!