Thursday, July 2, 2009

What the 4th of July is REALLY about...

Let me just start off by saying that the Fourth is a HUGE deal here in Port Orchard. I think people started lighting off fireworks three months ago in anticipation for the big day :). However, personally this year has taken on a whole new deeper meaning to me as to what the 4th of July is really about. On Monday I was asked by another local photographer Kelly Zaiko to spend the day with her and her two small children documenting their reunion with her Navy pilot husband who has been deployed for the past six months. I jumped at the opportunity, and I am so glad that I did. It was an emotional day filled with anticipation, joy and relief. It was also very humbling to be reminded of the ENORMOUS sacrifice so many families give on a daily basis so that my little family can be safe and free.

For those of you in active or inactive duty, and the families that support them, both past and present my words can not express my deep feeling of gratitude!!

If you have a little time please check out their Photo Gallery, which takes you through the day of waiting (I think it was three hours before he was let off the ship), and the much anticipated reunion.

PS - They were allowed to communicate on their cell phones while they waited, so all of the phone shots are them talking to Daddy on the ship :)....

I will post my Favorites of the big day in a few days :)!

5 comments:

Jenniferb said...

So sweet. Great job!

Audrey Coley Photography said...

LOVED THIS! how wonderful you got to do this! Thank God for our military heroes!

MariePhotographie said...

What a great experience! Your photos really tell a story!

sharalyns said...

Absolutely beautiful. I'm moved to tears here.

Thank you to all our service men and women.

Shalie said...

I can't wait to see them. I bet that was emotional!